No Local Ebola Cases Recorded in Uganda as Recovered Congolese Patient Tests Negative

By Philp Aguta

Uganda has not recorded any local Ebola infections following the confirmation of two imported cases involving Congolese nationals, the Ministry of Health has said.

Speaking during a briefing at the Uganda Media Centre on Thursday, the Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Health, Dr Diana Atwine, confirmed that one fatality was recorded while the second patient is steadily recovering after testing negative for Ebola on 18th and 20th May 2026.

The cases involve the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola Virus Disease.

Dr Atwine said Government has activated robust preparedness and response measures under the National Task Force chaired by the Vice President to prevent further spread of the disease.

She revealed that 127 contacts have so far been identified and placed under institutional quarantine as part of ongoing containment efforts.

According to Dr Atwine, Government has intensified nationwide sensitisation campaigns, strengthened screening and treatment capacities at border points, and temporarily suspended selected cross-border transport activities between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo to minimise further importation risks.

The Ministry of Health also announced enhanced border security patrols, temporary suspension of weekly markets in border sub-counties, and restrictions on large public gatherings in border areas.

Dr Atwine assured the public that schools will reopen on schedule but said institutions must strictly observe the Ministry of Health Standard Operating Procedures.

She urged Ugandans to remain calm, vigilant, observe all health guidelines and immediately report suspected cases to the nearest health facility.